.How I Obtain a Driver's Licence in The United States
Driving in The United States by Foreign Nationals
A valid driver's licence is required to drive in the United States. Some states demand an International Driving Permit (IDP) plus a valid licence from your home country if you're a foreign tourist. Contact the motor vehicle department of the state(s) where you will be driving to learn about the ID requirements.
What is an International Driver's Permit (IDP) and When Should Travellers to The United States Obtain One?
An IDP is a type of identification recognised by several nations throughout the world. It allows you to lawfully drive in a different nation by translating your identification into ten languages.
If you want to receive an IDP, you must do so well ahead of time. IDPs are not issued to foreign tourists in the United States.
- Contact the motor vehicle department of the country that granted your driver's licence to obtain an IDP.
- In order to hire a car in the United States, you may need both your driver's licence and an IDP. If you intend to rent one, learn about the policies and other criteria of the rental company ahead of time.
- Scams using international driver's licences should be avoided. Scammers may attempt to sell you a counterfeit IDP. If you use a fraudulent IDP in the United States, you may face travel delays or legal concerns in addition to losing money. Scams involving overseas driver's licences can be reported to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
What kind of identification do Non-Citizen Residents Need to Drive in The United States?
If you are eligible for a driver's licence, you must obtain one from the state in which you reside.
- Each state has its own residence requirements for obtaining a driver's licence in the United States.
- Contact your state's department of motor vehicles to learn more about the requirements and how to apply.
- A valid driver's licence in the United States allows you to drive everywhere in the country. It is your obligation to become familiar with and follow the laws of the state in which you are driving.